Friday, September 25, 2009

Idiots and assholes

... and we're paying their salaries. Incredible.

I stopped in at Dove House this afternoon to visit father. He was asleep, woke up briefly and then promptly went back to sleep. It doesn't make much difference to the course of the visit now whether he is awake or not so I let him sleep while I tried to read his Western Producer. All I could really see was the headlines because I had neglected to bring my reading glasses so that got old pretty quick. I could hear one of the staff chattering to Natasha so I followed the voices until I found the two of them.

It turned out that the reason father was still in bed was that he had a visit from what is charitably known as Home Care. They do come to the home but I haven't seen much evidence of caring. Their big concern today was the sores that father has developed. Natasha has been beside herself for the last two weeks trying to get these sores cleared up. She has purchased special silver impregnated dressing material on her own account, she has been leaving his legs exposed to the air to hasten the healing, she has arranged for special mattress pads and covers and she has found him a much improved (and ridiculously expensive) wheelchair that takes away the pressure points that ultimately lead to sores. In short she has been caring for her patient but that fact apparently is completely lost on the mindless minions of the government. I expect that these bureaucratic stooges likely harass all of the private care facilities with equal abandon. Perhaps at some level they realize the futility of their own existence and resent the fact that people like Natasha are actually providing patient care. Whatever the reason the whole works of them should be tarred and feathered daily.

They actually had the gall to threaten her with a formal investigation about father's sores. I told her she should tell them to "bring it on" as long as they agreed to start the investigation by interviewing me. The frustrating part for any thinking, caring person is that these useless leeches are draining funds from the healthcare system that could be going into patient care. Bureaucracies look out for themselves so we are all doomed. There's no chance that the system can ever fix itself, in fact it is likely to only get worse.

No comments: