Wednesday, October 2, 2013

The people who say neigh

…. or perhaps its “nay”. 

As I told the woman in the grocery store the other day, I’m a stranger in a strange land.  So far I have figured out two things.  The first is that these people say “neigh” (or possibly “nay”) a lot.  I have no idea what it means but it is the only sound I can reliably identify in the babble that passes for conversation around me.  Fortunately I have internet access which lets me play CBC and BBC.  Otherwise my ears might forget how to understand English.

The other thing I have learned is how to use the bizarre produce scale system they use in the grocery stores.  First you have to find the number on the price tag on the store shelf.  Then you take whatever it is that you plan to buy to the scale and pick that number off a large board beside the scale.  The scale will then spit out a price tag which you can put on your bag of fruit or vegetables.  Or, as it turns out, you can put the tag on your plastic wrapped English cucumber which inexplicably also requires this treatment.  I thought I had it all figured out tonight when I got a sticker for my oranges but it never occurred to me that my barcoded cucumber would also require a little paper sticky.

No comments: