Friday, October 24, 2008

Just me and George

Well Marilyn is in McArthur River. I couldn't even find it on a map but I finally located something on some of my Garmin maps. Cameco must be worried that I might be a terrorist because they sure don't have much helpful information on their website about where the mines are actually located. Its a long ways away from Saskatoon - that's for sure. Marilyn said it was a 2-1/2 hour flight.

It sounds like they have pretty decent accomodations and a good dining room. She is in a room that two other women share on a week in - week out basis. For some reason neither of them is there this weekend so she gets their room, complete with their TV and all the pictures of their kids.

George is such a fair weather friend. He's all cuddly with me now that Marilyn isn't here - and that will continue for a few days after she comes back but eventually he will revert to being her mama's boy. For the weekend though he and I will be close buddies.

We're parked on the Flying J parking lot on the north side of Saskatoon - the wifi at the Husky appears to be permanently down so I came back here after I picked up the trucklet today. Tomorrow the Nipawin Exhibition Association is hosting some kind of a hoedown at the Western Canada Fairs convention and they have invited all the old warhorses to attend along with the current board so I will go downtown for that and leave Georgie alone overnight.

When we arrived at the Flying J on Wednesday night the place was dark. We soon discovered that they had just finished extinguishing a fire in the dining room. I guess a fire at a gas station is a pretty major event - everything was shut down but they were still letting trucks in and out of the parking lot. When we pulled in there was truck leaving complete with a large trucker broad who was frantically waving "No" at us. I'm not sure what she thought we were going to do at that point - likely she didn't think that much. Later in the evening they turned the lights back on and Marilyn went in to buy some milk. She got talking to the manager who told her that they had just passed their first franchise inspection in the morning and then lit the kitchen on fire in the afternoon. Some days are like that.

No comments: