Saturday, January 10, 2009

Our cat is a fool

I've been taking Jorgito for fairly regular walks. He detests the first 1/4 of the walk - the portion where he is convinced that if he behaves badly enough I will give up on the whole idea. Once he resigns himself to the fact that we definitely are going for a walk he gets busy and walks. In fact he walks so fast that I have to hurry to keep up with him and I think he actually enjoys that part.


Yesterday he decided that he could take on a Sandhill Crane. There's four of the goofy looking birds that spend a lot of time in the park. They don't actually live here because I have seen them flying in but they do seem to spend most of the day here. Anyway, dingbat decided that he could handle one of them while we were out on our walk. He flattened his ears back, hissed, and started to advance on the crane. The crane seemed mildly annoyed by this unknown black and white thing that didn't even come up to his knees. He put his wings up and his head down and he started to advance too. I figured that this could get bad real quick so I pulled George out of the battle. As soon as I released the pressure on the leash he was tried to go back in and the crane kept advancing. Unlike dingbat I could see that the crane had a very long and very pointy beak so I yanked the furball out of harm's way and we carried on carrying on.

We're starting to get settled into a routine here. I have to leave very early Monday morning to fly up to Saskatoon for a couple of days so the routine will get disrupted but that is only a three day trip. We are both going to fly up for a ski trip in February but that is still a few weeks away. Marilyn put an ad up on the bulletin board in the clubhouse and bought herself a $25 bicycle. We used to carry bikes with us but never used them. I expect this one will suffer the same fate but $25 isn't much to risk on finding out. Its a pretty good looking bike so maybe she can make a buck or two when she sells it. We figure in the worst case if it gets to be a nuisance we can leave it on the side of the road and not be out too much.

Earlier in the week we had some friends over for lunch. We met them a few years ago on the desert in Arizona at an Escapees Rally. Shortly after that visit Lon had a blonde moment and invited everybody in his address book to be his Facebook buddy. Of course at the time I didn't know that I was just one out of 600 so I was delighted to be asked. I didn't know and still don't know what the hell Facebook's purpose is but it was the first time anyone had invited me to be their buddy so I joined. Then it snooped through my address book and found about a hundred people that it thought should be my buddies but I quickly put the kibosh on that plan. I'm not sure what the purpose of the thing is but it does give a different window into people's lives.

Some nice guy in Arizona has taken pity on the poor Canucks and donated us an awning. Pay attention Mark: we're going to have our own awning by spring. No more standing under your awning in the rain and harassing me about not having one. We will have to drive to Arizona and install the awning when we get there but he has also offered us a 50 amp hookup and assistance to install it so we couldn't ask for much more than that. Up until the famous engine fiasco we had intended to go back north through Elkart, Indiana. There are several RV salvage yards there where we intended to pick up and install an awning. The trip to Arizona will add a few miles to our return north but not a whole bunch because we will likely give Saskatchewan a complete pass and just carry on directly to B.C. Awnings are difficult to find for this particular model of Prevosts. Our side windows have that wonderful curve in the top which looks gorgeous but makes fitting an awning extremely difficult. To my knowledge there are only two awning manufacturers that even make an awning to fit this coach.

I can hear the cranes making their funny noise as they fly in which means it is time to get dressed and head out to the flea market.

No comments: