Friday, January 16, 2009

A taste of what we left behind

And I can't say I miss it all that much. That was Weds. at 10:30 in the morning, somewhere between Regina and Saskatoon. I had such a hurry-up trip that I didn't really have time to experience the cold but cold it was. Fortunately despite traversing the hellhole that Toronto calls an international airport twice in less than three days I stayed mostly on schedule for the whole trip. I was more than a little worried though Weds. when they were getting ready to board us in Saskatoon. I happened to notice that the co-pilot on our flight was a woman. Now I've got nothing against equality for women in a conceptual sense but come on, flying planes? As it turned out we got into Toronto about ten minutes early which leads me to believe that she drove something like Marilyn does. Fortunately she didn't have to land us in Lake Ontario like the US Air guy did the next day but then she was in the right hand seat so we were likely OK there anyway.

I was back in Saskatoon to run a strategy session that BDC hired me to do for one of their clients. I think it went pretty well but we only had 5 hours to work with and that simply isn't enough for that type of exercise. We'll do some more work by email and likely get together again when we are back in Feb. It was for a seasonal business with a very unique value proposition so it was fun work to do but it clearly reminded me why I don't miss managing seasonal staff.

This morning I drove up to Lake Alfred to find Lucky Lowe's Place but I carefully left my ski gear behind. It was 8º C when I was driving up there which I realize is considerably better than what I left behind - 45º better than that picture I guess. No matter how much better it was it still felt too cold to be going in the water. When I got up to Lake Alfred there was a crew of hardcore skiers already there - 2 guys from Montreal and a couple more from upper New York. They were questioning why they were going to ski but they were all definitely going in the water. I left while the first one was in the water but I am sure I will be back there once it warms up again - maybe even tomorrow.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

get in the water or I will tan your hide!!!