Wednesday, June 11, 2008

I'm getting sick and tired of rain

We left Candle Lake because mainly because we didn't like the lake but partly because it seemed like it rained constantly from the time we set up there. This summer is starting out the same way. They still aren't getting any rain in the northeast - which I guess is a good thing because it means our lawn won't be growing out of control - but it sure has been raining wherever we are. Maybe we are rain gods??

We got to Medicine Hat late in the afternoon yesterday and set up at Ross Creek on the east side of town. I ran around town looking for a 50 amp shore cord. After our incident at Prince Albert (where I let the smoke out of the junction box) I decided that I was going to fix the power the right way. We've had half of a 50 amp service for the 4 years we have owned the bus and it has absolutely never been a problem but it might as well be done right if I am going to fix it. Or so I thought. I had no idea it would turn into the ordeal that it did. I went into no less than three major RV dealers with huge parts showrooms who tried to tell me that:
a) I didn't need a 50 amp service
b) their 30 amp cord was a 50 amp cord
c) 50 amp 250 volt service was really 110 volt
d) 50 amp cords were too expensive (that part was certainly true but I'm not sure what solution they proposed)

Finally yesterday I walked into an RV parts room in Redcliffe (west of Medicine Hat). There lying on the floor was the cord I needed so I picked it up. At about the same time the partsman showed up and asked if he could help. I told him "no, I've found what I need". Then I said "you aren't going to try to tell me that I don't really need this, or that it won't work or that it's too expensive, or something else are you?" He looked puzzled so I explained. Of course it has been raining steadily since we got here so I haven't tried to hook it up. We've got lots of power without it but it just isn't the same when you know it isn't done right. He wanted $385 for his cord compared with $495 for the same cord that another dealership in town was prepared to order for me except that they wanted to argue about whether it was a 250 or 110 volt cord & that left me wondering if they were actually ordering the right one. I hate stupidity but you sure run into it a lot.

Speaking of stupidity, the apology that Stephen Harper is making in the House today is the stupidest thing that his government has done. I understand why he is doing it but it is a HUGE mistake. He's doing it because the Indian lobby is too strong to ignore anywhere in North America. While we're at it why don't we apologise for our Prussian and Roman ancestors' mistakes as well. The big mistake regarding the residential schools was that the Canadian government of the day didn't completely subjugate the Indians. We allowed them to maintain the illusion that the treaties were between equals when we should have forced them to face the fact that the Indian signatories to the treaties clearly understood - they were defeated. Why else would they have agreed to give up all this land that they now claim they once had dominion over? They were a defeated people and their ancestors clearly understood that they were defeated - they were defeated socially, economically and militarily. The current generation of Indian leadership maintains the fiction that they were never defeated and uses that to justify any number of extortions from Whitey but the fact is we won and they lost. The sooner we all get accustomed to that reality the better off we will all be. Harper standing on his hind legs and grovelling isn't going to help that process one iota.

No comments: