Saturday, June 7, 2008

It yained and yained and yained

Back when Michael used to be brought to us by the letter "Y" he used to say that it yained a lot. Well it is yaining right now and they need it here. We're parked in Fred & Norma's yard for a few days after arriving here on Thursday. Maybe the rain will drown the gophers too. I've never seen so many gophers. Big ones and little ones in every direction. They're putting out bait and shooting them but I think its hopeless. When we arrived there was a 1/2 ton about half a mile ahead of me driving slowly down the road. Pretty soon he stopped and a rifle came out the window. So I slowed down and eventually I stopped behind him and waited. And waited. I didn't want to be a jerk and blow the horn but finally I did - if I hadn't we'd probably still be sitting there because that guy's mirrors were clearly decorative. Apparently he is retired and he spends his days driving slowly down the middle of the road, periodically stopping and shooting gophers. Seems like a pretty good lifestyle for a retired guy although he's likely building up some seriously bad karma.

We had a minor adventure in P.A. on the way down. When I went to hook up to the electrical I let some smoke out of the connection to the bus. Many people who have a limited understanding of electricity don't realize that all electrical devices from computers to electric drills to televisions run on smoke. As long as the smoke is contained inside the device it will function normally - I suspect its sort of like blood in a human being. And in the same fashion as when a human loses its blood, if an electrical thing loses its smoke, it ceases to function normally. In our case it was only a minor loss of smoke so there wasn't serious long term effects but I'm still looking for a replacement end for the shore power cord. I stopped at Happy Camper in P.A. but I might as well have been at Toys R Us for all he knew about 50 amp cords. The guy at Frank Dunn's at least knew what I was holding in my hand but he didn't have one. I bought the bus connector at Mr. RV in Saskatoon - Pat Kehoe may be 100 years old but he definitely hasn't forgotten how to run an RV store. When I was buying the bus connector I looked at the cable ends & knew I should be buying one of them too but I cheaped out and didn't - MISTAKE. I'll probably find one in Swift Current or, if not, in Calgary. It really doesn't matter here because we're plugged into a 15 amp plug on Fred's shop so we could run that through one of those little white cords that you plug the Christmas tree in with if we had to.

I had a big day yesterday - drove all the way down to Val Marie for a 9:00 AM meeting which the sleazy little pup backed out of once I finally got him sitting down. I should have known that ahead of time because he was lying and making excuses from January on. But I had 3 more good meetings during the day plus another one really early this morning in Lafleche so I'm about 1/2 done the meetings in this area. Tomorrow we're going to move up to Swift Current and I've got a meeting west of Shaunavon Monday morning. I've got 3 more meetings around Swift Current and then we can head west. We'll stop in Airdrie for a few days and be in Mara by a week from tomorrow. I talked to Sharon (campground owner) last week and our site is waiting for us but I'm having difficulty finding a place to tie the boat up. The guy that used to run the marina at Club Mara sold it and the new owners are the resort owners. They don't sound like they know exactly what they are doing and the resort has always been a little difficult to deal with so we'll see how that works out once we get there. If we have to we can trailer the boat all the time and that would likely be cheaper than using the marina but not as convenient. There's several farms along the river with docks so we'll stop in at some of them and see if we can find one that is interested in renting a moorage for the summer.

Not much else happening here - Fred and Norma are taking us out for supper so I better go get ready for that adventure.

No comments: