Sunday, June 15, 2008

Settled in for the summer

We spent last night in Banff with Alison & Camiel. They took us out for supper last night & I made them breakfast this morning. Then we headed west arriving in Sicamous around 3:30. We went straight to Moose Mulligan's for fish and chips - that's our ritual as soon as we arrive in Sicamous. Then we followed the lake south to Whispering Pines.

There's hardly anybody here despite the highway being relatively busy today. There seemed to be a lot of rental RVs on the road today. It seemed like there were an inordinate number of rental RVs in Tunnel Mountain last night - most of them driven by Europeans. Maybe they are taking advantage of low season for rentals. There's probably 8 occupied RVs here tonight - maybe another 6 seasonal ones with nobody in them.

We moved into the site that Sharon thinks is our favorite and we think is the one that we usually end up in. I had been worried about whether we would be able to get an internet signal from it and sure enough, we could not. The trees here are so high and the foliage so dense there was just no way. We wandered around the campground scouting out some possible sites and then tried to phone Sharon. We had to leave a message the first time but Marilyn caught up with her around 8:00 and arranged a switch. Now we are way in the back of the campground, along the creek so we can fall asleep listening to the sounds of the creek. We're also very well shaded which will come in handy when Bernie's marginal power isn't adequate to run the air conditioner although I discovered tonight that we are right next to the power panel so I think I will spring for a new breaker for Bernie. The one we are on feels pretty weak so I'm thinking a new one might be in order.

We got both dishes set up so Marilyn has her TV and we have the internet. George likes it here too. He was outside on his leash for a while during which time he met a Lassie dog and his mom. I think he will be pretty happy because we are buried in the trees so there will be lots of birds for him to look at and chase.

The night before last George was making a big commotion outside the bedroom door. That's not unusual for him in the early morning. I finally got fed up and closed the bedroom door. A while later I got up and went up to the front to drink my morning tea. He seemed unusually obsessed with one of my feet and started pawing at the bottom of my slipper so I lifted my foot and realized that I had absent mindedly plopped my foot down on his mouse. His formerly alive mouse. The commotion he was making turned out to have been him catching his first mouse. We're not wild about the fact that we had a mouse in the bus but on the other hand he now knows what they smell like and how to catch them so that has to be good.

Time to go to bed.

No comments: