Saturday, March 28, 2015

Getting back to normal

We've all been there.  You finally get on the airplane, everybody is getting settled, they're almost ready to close the door and then the pilot comes on the intercom.  "I'm sorry folks but we've got a very minor problem with this airplane (that supposedly is serviced regularly by very highly paid union employees).  We'll need to resolve the problem before we can leave but it will only take a few minutes so I'll just ask you all to remain in your seats while we get this sorted out.  It will only take 15 or 20 minutes."  Then maybe 40 minutes or an hour later he'll give you the same bullshit story and after a couple of hours of your life have drifted by they'll finally admit that their highly paid maintenance staff haven't the faintest bloody clue what the problem is so they'll eventually unload you and herd you like cattle into another steel culvert at another gate.

It wouldn't be so bad if they'd just tell you up front - "We dunno WTF is going on or why this is happening, its going to take a long bloody time to figure it out, we don't have another plane to move you to even if we wanted to which we don't, you're just royally screwed so sit down, shut up and suck it up."  Of course they're never even close to that honest.  Well, the local healthcare system is just about that bad.

We spent 3 days getting told "surgery mañana".  In Mexico the literal translation of mañana is tomorrow but what it really means is "not right now".  On rare occasions it may actually mean tomorrow but it could also mean next week, next month or even not in this lifetime.  The big problem with "surgery mañana" is the attendant "nothing to eat today."  After having thrown up all Saturday night Marilyn was getting pretty hungry by Tuesday night.  On Wednesday morning we were assured that mañana meant that very afternoon at 4:00.  They finally got around to doing the surgery at midnight and then they almost tripped over themselves to get her kicked out of the hospital by noon on Thursday.   I did get a chance to thank the surgeon before I explained to him that if this is "normal" for the BC healthcare system then we're really thankful to be SK residents.

Marilyn wasn't very active yesterday (Friday) but she's been pretty active today.  Her appetite failed her Thursday night but its coming back now.

I had another big crab harvest today.  I think I've got the meat of 23 crabs in the freezer now.  I should get a couple more hauls so another 10 or maybe 15 to take back to the prairies.  We had hoped to catch some prawns after the season opens on April 1 but I think that is off the agenda now.  Our trap capture system depends heavily on Marilyn catching the line with a boathook while lying on her belly on the foredeck.  That's probably off the table for the immediate future. Her at the helm with me on the foredeck is likely a complete waste of time to say nothing of how frustrating it might be for both of us. So we'll go home with a freezer full of crab instead.

Our slip neighbours are from the Yukon.  They just finished up a year on their boat and left to go back to the Yukon today.  We're not the only ones with boating schedules that don't fit the standard mould.  

We've been watching the weather on the prairies and counting the days until we leave.  10 more sleeps until we leave.  My university summer reunion group is having a spring get together in Saskatoon which - very conveniently - is going to coincide with our passage through Saskatoon so we'll take a couple extra days to get home.  I talked to the Mayor the day Marilyn got out of jail and there was still snow on the ground in the village so there's no immediate rush to get back there yet.

No comments: