You’ve likely heard of peak oil. In the fertilizer industry there is talk of peak phosphate. Two days ago I think we reached peak disruption in our home renovations. We may approach the level of disturbance we experienced this week when we get to the flooring but its hard to believe we could be any worse than we were this week.
I like to ease into my day with a couple of hours of news and coffee every morning but that was flat out of the question for the last two mornings. Just navigating around the displaced furniture and boxes was a challenge – the living room was completely out of control and the TV was in the laundry. Last night we beat the living room back into submission and cleared a path through the rubble that occupied the balance of the house.
That’s a little better shot of the marbled ceiling effect we have been achieving as well as one of the light fixtures that have caused us serious counting challenges.
I’ve always been reasonably good at math but clearly my counting skills are impaired. I was unaware of that impairment until this week but I can see no other explanation.
Our reno plan has been to start at the top and work down. The whole house needs a refresh from the dated paint to the disastrous flooring so our plan is to start by painting the ceilings, move to painting the walls and finish by replacing all the flooring. That way the paint that drips from the ceiling to the walls and eventually to the carpet is not an issue. Marilyn has spent the last year getting the surfaces prepped – filling a multitude of holes and patching drywall disasters. We were finally ready to start spreading paint about a week ago and the entire main floor ceiling is now painted with our marble effect. Yesterday we started painting top coat on the living room and hallway walls. Once the ceiling was painted we replaced all the light fixtures with matching low profile fixtures – like the one in the image above. And that’s where the counting issue surfaced.
First we counted all the existing fixtures and came up with 5. Then we decided that we would use matching fixtures for 4 of them and use a fluorescent fixture in the hallway. So we came home from Saskatoon last weekend with 4 matching fixtures from Rona plus a fluorescent. But when I started putting the fixtures up we discovered that we needed not 4 but 6. That was disconcerting – that our count could be out by 150% seemed impossible but it was what it was and I was going to Agribition this week anyway. So while I was in Regina I braved another trip to Rona – I detest that store in general and the Regina store is their second worst store in Canada. The one in Duncan was worse but it has now closed so I suppose technically the Regina store is now their worst store in Canada. But I digress.
I braved the mental midgets in the Regina store and actually talked with the idiots long enough to purchase an additional three fixtures. I had checked their online inventory ahead of time and knew they were supposed to have 21 of our style but of course they had them well hidden once I got to the store from hell. We only needed two fixtures but we thought with 6 matching units we should have one for a spare and they were only $23 per each so it seemed prudent to get an three rather than the two we actually needed. As it turned out it was more prescient than prudent because, once again, when I started putting up the new fixtures we discovered that we had again miscounted. Its hard to explain how we could have initially counted 7 fixtures and arrived at a total of 4. Too much paint fumes I guess.
The previous owners had a complete disaster in this area. SWMBO says she may have pictures but I don’t. The “cabinets” that used to live here survived about a week after we moved in and we purchased these replacements shortly after but they have remained unassembled until this week. The master plan calls for a deeper counter top over the lower cabinets with mosaic tiles laid on the counter and a broom closet to the left of the cabinets.
SWMBO came up with a few before pictures. Ignore the goof who is tearing the old crap out.