Thursday, March 26, 2009

Compramos almejas - un momentito Mexicano

I ordered some clams from my fishmonger yesterday but he never showed up at all today. So we made a trip into town and wound our way right downtown to the fish market. Traffic is pretty congested down there and just at the point where I was thinking "now where the hell am I going to park" we spotted a dude standing in the traffic flow wearing white rubber boots. We weren't moving at the moment so I rolled down the window, thinking to ask him where we could park. Instead he asked if we wanted fish. I said no, we wanted small clams. No problem - $5 for 10 pounds. Yep that'll work. So off he jogged across in front of us to a vendor along the sidewalk to my left. About that time traffic started to inch along again so I crept ahead, thinking that I could let the Brinks truck behind me get by but the street wasn't really wide enough for that. One car managed to sneak by but then the truck was next and he couldn't get by. But nobody seemed to care. We had traffic stopped for blocks while we bought our clams but no horns honked, nobody got irate. It only took a few minutes but it was a particularly Mexican moment.

No comments: