Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Mexico lite

We're parked in the front row at Playa Bonita, Puerto Peñasco, Sonora, Mexico. And we're surrounded - for the most part anyway - by gringos without enough balls to go to Mexico. This place resembles Mexico but its certainly not Mexico. For one thing we've got 30 amp power and its a strong 30 amp. I've been running the AC hard and running the convection oven over top of the AC. We still haven't tripped the breaker and the voltage is holding up above 110. So this definitely is not Mexico. But it is a very pleasant place nevertheless.

The wind has blown pretty well non-stop ever since we arrived which has diminished our enjoyment of the place but the view out the front window is hard to beat. We've met a couple of the neighbours and hit it off well with them so that is always a bonus. Mel & Billie should be along here either Thursday or Friday, I can't remember exactly when they said they were arriving. There is a steady parade of vendors through the park - and I mean a STEADY parade. I got some tamales from an abuela yesterday and I've got some camarones grandes lined up for tomorrow morning. There's Tecate in the fridge and shrimp for the barbi tonight. Life is good - we like to eat well.

Today I paid Jaime to wash the bus. It wasn't cheap but we sure got our money's worth. $127 US bux got us a complete wash and wax, including the roof. They also polished all the wheels and they are so shiny now you can see yourself in them. I told him it was como tengo seis espejos pero ud. va a necesitar un traductor si no intiendes español. The guys have a pretty good gig going here in the campground. I'm sure there are a lot of payoffs to the campground involved but they do a booming business washing RVs right where they sit. Jaime's crew today consisted of him plus 3 other men and I think they had 3 of us going at the same time. They came around washing first and wiped us dry at that time. Then quite a while later they showed up to put on the wax and once that was done they spent a couple of hours with all four of them working on the aluminum rims.

2 comments:

Singing Land Cruiser said...

Hey you Guys! Christi has been walking around here with heavy foot falls. I asked her what was wrong? It's Mexico. We have not been their this year and you Guys are their now. OOH well, I will keep reading to her about the kitty's travels and maybe she'll reach that "I've had enough" point and start packing the bus. Be safe.
All the Best, M&C

Singing Land Cruiser said...

Wow, I am soooo jealous. I would love to be sitting at Manny's right now, sipping a glass of wine and eating enchiladas and tacos and anything else that ends in ahhh. Ok back to reality. As Michael discussed earlier, my heavy-footedness was actually caused by something I read in the local paper that's going on in this god-forsaken town. It just encouraged me to get back on track and start going through the rest of our stuff so we can get closer to getting the hell out of Dodge/Tombstone. By next year we will be the one's eating tamales and shrimp! Yum! Christi